Monday, April 27, 2009

Pierre Peters Esprit de 2002 Grand Cru brut

I drink champagne when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it – unless I'm thirsty." – Madam Lilly Bollinger

Brand: Esprit de 2002 Grand Cru brut
Winery: Pierre Peters
Vintage: 2002
Varietal: Chardonnay
Winemaking: All base wines are elaborated in stainless steel and are therefore very dry. The residual sugar is somewhere between 3 and 6 g/l depending on quality and vintage. Owner Rodolphe Peters decided not to label the Champagne „Extra Brut“. Only after extraordinary vintages this Champagne is made. The 2002 aged on it´s yeasts for 6 years and is the 2003´s successor, which was clearly lighter and came on the market before.
Average Price: € 39,00
Tasting Notes: On the palate hints of white fruits like peach and pear, also dominating citrus aromas. The intense scent of almonds and marzipan, the minerality and the crisp acidity are fabulous! It´s perfect when you let it breathe 3 or 4 minutes after pouring.

Long aging potential!

Food Pairing Suggestions: alone is my suggestion

General rating: 4 tastevins
Categories: Special Occasion, Adventurer´s choice

Winery notes: Amongst connoisseurs in France Pierre Peters Champagnes are already very known, they are present in many gourmet restaurants throughout the country, everywhere where quality instead of big names stands in the foreground (unfortunately this is not at all the case in Germany, where mostly big brands are bought, and way too over-priced). The 17,5h vineyard is in Le Mesnil sur Oger. Originally, the ancestors came from Luxemburg completely attracted by the region of Champagne. They must have had great understanding of what they´re doing … the Quality is outstanding and reflects the vast varieties in style that one can find in the region. The style is very terroir focused (mineralic) and stands out with a very individual character.

No comments:

Post a Comment