Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A penny for my thoughts...

David Grega is a certified sommelier and wine consultant living in the Napa Valley; In addition David is the consulting winemaker and national sales manager for Carlotta Cellars. For more information e-mail david@carlottawines.com


While perusing around my favorite wine shop in Yountville (V-wine Cellar) I was asked by the general manager of the shop to taste a flight of wines brought by a sales rep. This came not as surprise to me. The wonderful people at V-Wine Cellar have come to appreciate my two cents when it comes to potential wines they might carry. This benefits them because they get an outside opinion from a practised palate and it benefits me because I get the opportunity to learn something new about wines I would have not tasted otherwise. This particular flight was a Patz&Hall Pinot Noir tasting. I thought I would share my tasting notes with you, hope you enjoy!

Patz & Hall, 2007 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir:
Right off the bat I was floored by the complex aromas of black raspberry, black cherry and candied bacon. Secondary aromas of slightly dried cranberry and fresh strawberry rounded out the nose. The palate was pure and pleasing. More of the lovely fresh fruits from the nose and well balanced approach make this a solid Pinot Noir in my book.
Score: 3.5 out of 5

Patz & Hall, 2007 Jenkins Ranch:
Black cherries jump right out at me as well as a bourbon quality that reminds me of a well made Manhattan. The palate fell apart a little bit on me. The flavors of black cherry, cola and ripe strawberry were there but I found an awkward bubble gum component on the mid palate that rubbed me the wrong way. I must say that the tannin was quite ripe and delicious.
Score: 3 out of 5

Patz & Hall, 2006 Chenoweth Ranch:
OK, I know this might sound a bit odd but this wine smelled like Banana nut bread with yummy walnuts all over the place. I know that seems like a bad thing but I actually quite enjoyed these interesting aromas mixed with hints of maraschino cherry, red liquorice and vanilla spice. The palate showed some blackberry and black cherry flavors coupled with a fine tannin structure. I really enjoyed this one.
Score: 3.5 out of 5

Patz & Hall, 2006 Pisoni Vineyard:
Ah, the legendary Pisoni Vineyard. This wine certainly stood out from the rest much like the great Gary Pisoni himself. On the nose I found a hedonistic grouping of blackberry jam, blueberry cobbler, shortbread and fresh strawberries. The palate was full, luscious and consuming. Layers of huckleberry jam and wild strawberry coupled with a creamy texture and long finish this was certainly a wine to be reckoned with.
Score: 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment