Friday, March 27, 2009

Julia & Malbec

My first entry is going to be an Argentine Malbec since my first glass of Malbec that I had in a bar in Salta (province in the north of Argentina) was decisive for my further path in life… I know this sounds sort of dramatic but it really was!!:-) I had been on a three month backpacking trip through the country at that time and after having been in Argentina for only two weeks I decided to throw away my plane ticket for the way back and stay. The endless amount of amazing places, the crazy loud happy people, the sun and the fantastic wine made me curious for more, and at the same time I felt very much at home in this place from beginning on…

Let me share one of my favorite “every day” Malbecs from Mendoza with you...

from the foot of the "Cordon del Plata"

Brand: Zagal

Winery: Hacienda del Plata

Vintage: 2006

Varietal: 100% Malbec

Winemaker: Hugo Galiotti

Winemaking: cold pre-maceration at 8° - 10° for 48 hours. Fermentation in steel tanks during 14 days at controlled temperature (use of selective yeasts). 40% of the wines is aged in 3rd use oak barrels for 8 months (French and American). The other 60% stay in stainless steel at low temperatures. Natural sedimentation, aging in bottle before entering the market: 6 months.

Alcohol: 14%

Average Price: € 9,50

Tasting Notes: Intense aromas of ripe red fruit, blackberry, clove and violets; in the background hints of toasted bread and coffee. Well structured and strong body, smooth and sweet tannins. Drink now through 2012.

Food Pairing Suggestions: wonderful with grilled beef marinated in herbs and garlic, accompanied with grilled vegetables like red bell pepper, onions, potatoes

General rating: 3 tastevins

Categories: Super Value! Weekly drinking

1 comment:

  1. Great post Julia! Welcome to the comunnity ;)


    Rasmus Amdi Larsen